Failing Hard Drive

Legslip 23:15 03 Apr 11

I have a friend with a Dell Inspiron 1300 that I think the HD is on the way out (started to occasionaly rumble). If I get a replacement HD, is there a way of copying over all the existing HD data so that I can just plug it in and getting it working rather than re-installing Windows and all the other paraphanalia which makes it a long winded job?

woodchip 23:28 03 Apr 11

If its a Desktop, Fit the drive inside or just lay it in the bottom on some card to insulate it from chassis, then use this to clone the original drive to the new one click here then change them over with the power switched of at the wall plug

Looking at it in Google, its a Notebook so you need a external caddy to fit the new drive in. You need to check what type of drive the old one is then buy a Caddy and drive of the same configuration Sata or IDE

Legslip 09:05 04 Apr 11

Thanks Woodchip. Will this version do the job?

XXCLONE Freeware Package (for personal use only)

No sign up necessary.
Supports the basic XXCLONE features.
Download now xxclone.zip

And yes, it is a Notebook. Can you recomend any HD testing freeware?

Diemmess 10:06 04 Apr 11

A rumble noise can be caused by a cooling fan which has a dry or unhappy bearing causing chatter or rumble.

Also a doubt that if the HD bearing is rumbling, then it may not run well enough even to function at all.

woodchip 18:16 04 Apr 11

If the PC is not crashing or freezing, it may be something else other than the hard drive. But Hard Drive bearings do rumble when they are on the way out

Legslip 08:45 05 Apr 11

I have downloaded the Fujitsu HD test utility, FJDT.exe. I think it needs to run from boot-up. Any guidance on how to do this?

timsmith259 10:05 05 Apr 11

if you got an external drive just copy and paste the files until you buy a proper hardrive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5