failing to connect to the internet

rakkjen 19:40 17 May 09

I'm trying to install a wireless router.

The router is connected to a modem which has an ADSL connection (that works fine!)

When connecteing to the wireless router, everything seems OK. Connecting with a cable it seems as if I am connected and when connecting 'wireless' it does connect, and says the connection is 'excellent'.

Still, with or without wire, nothing happens in my internett browser (be it firefox or explorer)

What could possibly be the reason for this?

Thanks for any help!

phono 19:45 17 May 09

"The router is connected to a modem which has an ADSL connection"

How exactly is it connected?

What make and model is the modem and the router?

rakkjen 20:01 17 May 09

The modem (Shiro DSL805E) is connected with an ADSL cable to the router (AirLive Turbo-G WT-2000R) - from the 'ethernet' port on the first, to the WAN port on the latter.

phono 20:13 17 May 09

"The modem (Shiro DSL805E) is connected with an ADSL cable to the router"

You should be using an Ethernet cable to connect the router to the modem, the ADSL cable connects the modem to the telephone socket.

You can see the difference in the plugs at click here

rakkjen 20:51 17 May 09

Sorry. It is an ethernet cable (not ADSL).

phono 21:46 17 May 09

I see that the Shiro DSL805E is actually a modem router, the manual states that if you want to connect it to another router you have to set up a bridge connection, see page 15 of the manual, I have copied and pasted the steps to be taken below:

Bridge Connection
This device is preconfigured to function as a bridge connector between the Internet service and the local network.

In this setup, the router acts as a dialer for a broadband router to connect to the Internet.

To setup a bridge connection:

1. Plug one end of the telephone cable from the POTS Splitter’s ADSL port and then plug the
other end into the router’s DSL port.

2. Plug one end of the Ethernet cable from the router’s ETHERNET port and then plug the other
end into a broadband router’s WAN port.

3. Connect the computer into an available LAN Ethernet port in the broadband router. In this
setup, the router merely acts as a dialer for the broadband router. Broadband routers, by itself,
do not have the capability to connect to an ADSL service because it does not have a DSL port.
To connect to the Internet, use the connection settings of the broadband router.

Pay attention to that last line, also see page 34 of the manual for how to set up as a bridge connection, in case you may have changed it.

If you have lost the manual it can be downloaded from click here

rakkjen 21:15 18 May 09

I have conncected as suggested + set up a bridge connection - problem persists.

But;
What really is meant with "To connect to the Internet, use the connection settings of the broadband router"?

Thanks for trying to help out.

phono 22:44 18 May 09

"To connect to the Internet, use the connection settings of the broadband router"?

I wondered that myself, they may mean that you have to enter your user name, password and other ISP specific information in the router's setup screen.

I will get back if I can come up with something more concrete.

ashleycardwell94 00:27 19 May 09

GO out and buy a modem and a router in one! much better and it works!

phono 00:52 19 May 09

"GO out and buy a modem and a router in one! much better and it works!"

A lot of thought must have gone into that suggestion.

ambra4 02:58 19 May 09

Take a read at this site will help you to understand the correct way to connect the Shiro

DSL805E Ethernet Modem/Router

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009