failing components?how to identify

Im a diddy 17:39 PM 02 May 12
Answered

Heya,Im looking at a friends Pc for him,hes been having problems of late,not starting up,trying to repair windows installation and failing,only starting in safemode.After brief discussion we decided a fresh install of windows was the way to go,and he dropped it round today However,soon as i started it up the fans were turning but no other sign of life apart from short beep followed by a long beep.Upon googling it,memory appeared to be the cause of it,so i swapped ram sticks(2) in and out,reseated the ram.One stick was preventing it starting removed it and the pc started the next step Got part way though windows installation(near end) and system froze.restarted and the graphics were playing up. Im hoping you can point me in the right direction,would both sticks be failing at same time?would failing graphics be causing this? or is motherboard on way out? I dont have any parts to swap in to test.sorry so long winded but any pointers be greatly appreciated.

lotvic 17:51 PM 02 May 12

Some proper system info would help.

What size is the one remaining ram stick you have in? and is it in 'slot 1'?

"windows installation(near end) and system froze" are you sure it 'froze'? how long did you wait?

"restarted and the graphics were playing up" that needs more details for us to go on....

Im a diddy 18:01 PM 02 May 12

Compaq presario sr 2 125uk ,its vista basic,500mb stick left in,not sure which is slot 1?..froze for 30 mins screen went black? upon restart heavy pixalated,then could just about read boot from cd to try a new install but screen went black again.

Im a diddy 18:08 PM 02 May 12

spec states video card and onboard graphics?

would onboard be available too?

KRONOS the First 18:16 PM 02 May 12

Yes, pull the graphics card and see if you can install windows without it as you do have onboard graphics.

Im a diddy 18:18 PM 02 May 12

ok ill give that a go and post back.

Im a diddy 18:26 PM 02 May 12

how do i connect monitor?

rdave13 18:34 PM 02 May 12

Spec shows *Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed. If no other VGA port at rear then you don't have integrated graphics.

Im a diddy 18:43 PM 02 May 12

ok,no rear vga port or motherboard vga.Another thing to add the pc fans were going big style,quite loud but without graphics card installed relatively quiet,does that help?

rdave13 18:46 PM 02 May 12

I think it's the graphics card on the way out and not the ram. Reinstall the card and ram and see if you can get to the boot menu screen and leave it there for a while. See if you lose graphics again.

rdave13 18:48 PM 02 May 12

Also check that the fan is running on the GPU card.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get your photos turned into illos by some of the world’s best artists

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites