Failed wireless connection

Hi all, have recently bought a HP dv2000 Laptop, running windows XP (home), AOL broadband and Thomson 576 ROUTER.

Trouble is i cannot get a wireless connection, can get on line using ethernet cable ok?

Used HP set up assistant and it does not recognise the Thomson 576 as a user fiendly router, does this mean i have to purchase one of the recommened routers on HP,s site??

Thanx in advance,

Ian......

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:25 05 Oct 07

Hi Fruitbat, tried your link, did as instructed but still cannot get a connection. As soon as i pull thre ethernet cable i loose the connection, will not stay on in Wireless mode??

In my browser bar my wireless connection signal strenght is excellent, and ststus connected??

Im not grasping something here??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:14 05 Oct 07

Is your wireless card enabled?

Check device manager for exclamation marks ginst the wireless.

Also check in services (start -ru - type services.msc) that wireless zero configuration is started

Yes, checked those and no problems?? Only thing i can see maybe wrong, on Wireless network connection status, the activity is saying, packets sent, 380, and none received??

Sorry for my speeeeeling mistakes!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:35 05 Oct 07

packets sent, 380, and none received??

is a classic symptomn of incorrect wep / wpa key.

check your security settings and also that your firewall will allow outgoing and incomming signls to the router.

Hi again fruitbat, checked settings and all seem ok, also typed in correct wep key. In my browser t says connected and excellent strength??

Have to take it to my local repairer 2c if they can sort me??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…