failed updates

taskmaster 10:33 22 Mar 09

I ceased using Windows calendar because each occasion trying to check for updates it reported that "lost connection to Windows help.."
Then I downloaded Mozilla Sunbird calendar.
When I try for updates with Sunbird, I get "No Update - AUS:Update XML File Malformed (200)".
Also when I open HP Updates and "Installshield", I'm told an Internet Connection is required. And yet I have no other trouble with the internet and before someone asks whether the router/modem is switched on at the time of my checks, the answer is yes, and this is how I'm posting this plea for help. Anyone any thoughts.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:39 22 Mar 09

op system?

Start- run- type sevices.msc press ok
scroll down to background intelligent transfer make sure its started and set to Automatic.

retry your download.

taskmaster 10:21 23 Mar 09

Fruit Bat /\o/\.
Thanks but it didn't work. Background Intelligent transfer is on and set to automatic. I restarted it just in case but still no update connection for these programs. I'm using Vista Home Premium. Glad for further thoughts.

taskmaster 15:59 06 May 09

Have downloaded Firefox 3.0 now unable to complete installation as it cannot connect with internet to update for the same reason i.e. "No Update - AUS:Update XML File Malformed (200)".
Is this a problem only with Open Source software?
Appreciate any more suggestions on how to cure.

taskmaster 10:43 07 May 09

Have decided to uninstall Firefox. It appears to be preventing IE connection of other websites which are not open source.
It may well be a good browser but it's clearly not for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos