Failed to update the system registry Please use et

Will 10:50 30 Jan 05

On opening my computer I recieve the following message in a box "Failed to update the system registry please use reg edit". Can anybody tell me what is happening? I also feel as if I am on the edge of a crash. I am unable to suss out the "User Accounts" thing. I am unable to install anything with out haveing to go into the restart and F8 procedure. In Safe Mode I look in the user accounts in the Adiministrator and there are 2 other users. In the normal start up there are 4 user accounts none of which are shown in the F8 administrator, anybody know what is happening there?
The system is Win XP Home(Update over win 98)AMD 1400Mhz, 2 HDD(6 and 20 Gigs), 256 Ram, 128 Graphics card.

alan227 10:57 30 Jan 05

1. Log on as a local Administrator.
2. Go to Start->Run and type regedit.
3. Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DG5.Document.
4. While the DG5.Document key is highlighted, select the Edit menu and choose Permissions.
5 Check the "Full Control" box for the appropriate user account/group and click OK.
6. Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{DBB164F5-5B7D-11D2-A416-00A024A82786}
7. While the CLSID key is highlighted, select Edit and choose Permissions.
5 Check the "Full Control" box for the appropriate user account/group and click OK.
9. Exit the Registry Editor

alan227 10:58 30 Jan 05

Forgot to say back up your registry before you do this.

Will 11:09 30 Jan 05

How do I backup the registry?

JIM 12:18 30 Jan 05

Backup The System Registry Editing the registry incorrectly can cause serious problems to your Windows operating system. It is recommended that the registry is backed up prior to making any manual changes. The following process can be used to backup the registry.

Windows98/ME/NT/2000/XP

1. Click the START button, then RUN

2. Type REGEDIT and hit ENTER

3. Click REGISTRY then Export Registry File...

4. Save the file to your desktop,or my documents with the name RegistryBackup

5. Exit the Registry Editor by clicking on the X in the upper right corner of the Window.

Note: Do not double-click on the RegistryBackup file that is now on the desktop or my documents unless a registry restore is necessary.

This causes the existing settings to be overwritten and any changes after the save would be lost.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…