failed sp2 install, how to fix ?

grabster 07:01 01 Aug 05

Hi, im trying to reinstall sp2 after mistakenly uninstalling it. The problem is that it stops about halfway through and then removes itself, and after a reboot my windows auto update informs me that i have a partial sp2 update and that it may not work.If i try to install again the same thing happens. I guess that the update file itself is corrupted,but how can i remove this file so i can download a fresh copy ? if i remember right my son may have cancelled the update progress during ( or prior too ) a heavy GTA-SA session.
My xphome system is clean and up to date otherwise.

mgmcc 07:50 01 Aug 05

Microsoft article on how to recover from a failed SP2 installation (remove underscores from "http") -

howard60 09:04 01 Aug 05

the important thing is to check before installing that nothing nasty has crept on board.

grabster 06:16 02 Aug 05

Thanks for the replies,i looked at the link you posted but that doesnt cover my problem, I get an "access is denied "error when i try to install.i found this info click here
which points to a registry error but i cannot find the appropiate registry keys to modify.I tried a repair installation of xp but the problem remains.

grabster 17:51 04 Aug 05

Bump. . .

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:16 04 Aug 05

Option 1: Remove Windows XP SP2 by using the Add or Remove Programs tool in Control Panel

1. Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.

2. In the list of currently installed programs, click Windows XP SP2, and then click Remove.

3. Click Next, and then follow the instructions that are displayed on the screen to remove Windows XP SP2.

Option2: Remove Windows XP SP2 by using the Spuninst.exe command-line command
To do this:

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

2. At the command prompt, type the following lines. Press ENTER after each line.
cd %Windir%\$NtServicePackUninstall$\Spuninst

3. Follow the instructions to remove Windows XP SP2.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:26 04 Aug 05

Option 3: Remove SP2 by use of System restore.

1. select Programs -Accessories -System Tools - system restore.

2. Follow instruction to restore your system, select a date before you attempted to install SP2.

grabster 20:39 04 Aug 05

well i now have sp2 uninstalled but i cant reinstall it due to an error message " access is denied " halfway through the process.looks like a reformat is due .

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:37 04 Aug 05

You will need to be logged on as an Administrator to install SP2.

Boot in safe mode then log on as administrator and attempt to run SP2 setup file.

grabster 21:14 06 Aug 05

Tried your suggestion Fruit Bat /\0/\
but it fails still with an " access is denied " error .
i think its connected to problems im having with ms antispy so im gonna back up the important bits and do the necessary.
Thanks for the input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…