Failed or dead PC? Help!!

Jakey boy 17:00 19 Mar 05

Okay, my sister's PC, (which I built over a year ago) has apparently failed or died. Initial symptom was no picture on the monitor. I tried another monitor, still nothing. Conclusion....graphics card! Tried another graphics card, no change. Conclusion.......CPU or Motherboard? A couple of other symptoms occured which may have some bearing. The machine seems reluctant to start up straight off, and sometimes not at all for a while. Also, the mobo light comes on straight away, but flickers a bit for a little while before eventually remaining steady. I'm stumped as to where the problem lies, and what steps to take next. I feel bad 'cos I built the damn thing, but I need help to pinpoint the problem so I can fix it. Any ideas guys?

Jakey boy 17:10 19 Mar 05

bump ^

Joe R 17:14 19 Mar 05

Jakey boy,

before pointing at the cpu or mobo, can you try the system with another memory stick, and have you tried another Psu.?

Diemmess 17:18 19 Mar 05

As part of checking, try disconnecting the power cable to the HD, the CD drive/s and any USB devices you have. Include the Floppy too for this test.

Make sure the power cable from the PSU to the mobo is well home and switch on.

You will probably find no difference if the fault is the mobo or PSU, but at least you will have cleared all peripherals for a start.

Now the fault is either in the power switch or more likely the PSU or mobo..... I know of no way to be sure of the PSU except by substitution

seems to me it could be the motherboard(light flickering)failing that it could be a power supply problem..try replacing the board first,borrow one if you can.. and then try a different power supply beg or borrow one of those if you can aswell(saves paying out when it might not be the problem)regards karl

Jakey boy 17:49 19 Mar 05

Lots of suggestions there, it's going to take some time to check them all, but I'll do my best and get back to you all. In the meantime, any more suggestions would also be appreciated.

Jakey boy 18:41 19 Mar 05

^

Jakey boy 19:12 19 Mar 05

And another wee bump ^

woodchip 19:14 19 Mar 05

Well I go with dead or weak PSU

dan11 19:23 19 Mar 05

On board pci modem? First thing I take out.;-)

Had three of them in as many months.lol

961 19:28 19 Mar 05

When you switch on do the fans start?

How many beeps?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…