failed mail from Postmaster

kingussie 09:45 10 Apr 04
  kingussie 09:52 10 Apr 04

I am using windows xp home oe 6 norton av

vimto 09:54 10 Apr 04

This is more than likely a virus, and should be deleted immediately.

Several people I know have had the same problem.

kingussie 10:05 10 Apr 04

I agree but why is it getting through when others are stopped and how do I stop it ' I have done the updates but my av hangs half way through and goes no further

Tinkey Winkey 10:13 10 Apr 04

I recently had about 30 incoming e mails daily.
Some of which were 'postmaster returned mail.'

I didn't know any of the mail addresses either.
Something was obviously wrong !

A Norton Full System Scan found that I had 3 Trojans - probably sending out more email viruses without my knowledge.

The attachments contained the Netsky mass mailing worm - just delete them !

Some of the emails were titled 'your invioce' etc to get you to look at the attachment.If you're unsure of the origin of the email with an attachment it's probably best to delete it.

Update your NAV (unless you have a subscription)and do a Norton full system scan.

Note:I had to run a full system scan for several days to completely get rid of the trojans as the buggers kept coming back depite having NAV and Windows up to date.

I don't have a firewall yet -perhaps that's why they snuck in ?

Tinkey Winkey 10:20 10 Apr 04

If NAV is hanging try starting the PC with your NAV CD in your cd rom drive.

Follow the instructions and run a system scan before windows (and your viruses)load.

Hope this helps...

golfpro 10:22 10 Apr 04

Someone with your address on their PC has been stung, and your getting the returned mail (all the others with addresses on this PC are also getting it). Do NOT be tempted to open just delete them they will stop eventually. If you can track the infected PC down tell them to delete your contact address from their address book.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:26 10 Apr 04

If there are NO attachments these are not returned mails, they are a new way of sending advertising, making it look like a Mailer-Daemon. Just delete them.

A firewall will NOT stop them as they are arriving through your mail port which...... will be open;-)). I did post to a recent thread, warning that the mail port would be the chosen access point for any worms, trojans etc and no amount of firewalls would stop them.

G

Tinkey Winkey 10:33 10 Apr 04

Thanks Gandalf .

spuds 13:10 10 Apr 04

As previously suggested-Don't open,just delete. The contents are of no interest and may cause further harm if opened.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…