normskiii 21:08 01 Dec 03

hello............modem connects ok and internet explorer open but fails to 'latch onto any website. any fixes please? system was working fine but getting progressively slower and after running Norton doctor has now efectively 'died.

Giggle n' Bits 23:07 01 Dec 03

Which Windows do you have on the pc and the type of Internet access/ISP Please.

Go into the Add/remove programes in the Control Panel and in Add/remove look for Internet Explorer.

Go to remove the internet Explorer and hopefully you will get a window giving you a chance to repiar it.

Do this and restart pc then try your internet connection again.

MichelleC 08:38 02 Dec 03

NSW Dr's can mess things up. If you run sfc it'll usually put things right.

Stuartli 08:46 02 Dec 03

You have to double click on IE in Add/Remove and then choose Repair. Otherwise you will uninstall it...

But it seems to be a different symtom, perhaps with regard to Privacy and/or Security settings.

normskiii 21:02 02 Dec 03

Many thanks............. I've tried repair route and also remove/reinstall IE but no success.
what is sfc? and NWS drs? sorry can't follow that

I'm using HP laptop running win98 and freeserve. has been good as gold.
very puzzling problem........

MichelleC 09:05 03 Dec 03

It may not do anything but I always run system file checker as a matter of course when probs occur (especially after NSW) and sometimes it fixes them:

RUN/ type sfc amd replace any files as necessary (but any changed system files will show - easiest way is to change them all then go to M$ for all updates).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…