Failed Hard Drive - Trouble Installing XP

RE1772 20:30 25 Dec 06

I decided to clean boot my XP desktop after it started playing up. Everything started fine, until my XP installation got itself into a continuous loop and wouldn’t progress. I then found myself in a position whereby the disk wouldn’t accept any OS (Win 2K, XP and even Vista Beta 1). To get around this and try to have a look, I loaded the hard drive into an external caddy and attached it to my laptop. The disk was recognised, so I tried to format it through XP and ran Check Disk – no apparent problems, but things were really slow. I then used Partition Magic 8 to interrogate and try to salvage any data I had on a separate partition. The application reported a bad disk, wouldn’t create a partition, format a partition or do anything. I can apparently save individual files to the hard drive whilst in the caddy – but it will still not accept any OS and goes back into the continuous loop that goes as far picking a disk – please help – is there any salvaging the hard drive? If someone suggests FDISK, I would need instructions as I am not a DOS freek….. thanks

AndySD 20:54 25 Dec 06

Who it the disk made by?

woodchip 21:22 25 Dec 06

Use this on the drive to clear it. then retry XP

click here

RE1772 08:27 26 Dec 06

The disk is a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200Gb

What is a secure delete likely to achieve? Does it need to be done on the DOS level, or can i do it when mounted in a caddy through my laptop?

I will give it a go, but i was thinking that the problem may be along the lines of a faulty MBR or something.

What perplexes me is that you can save to the disk when it is mounted in a an external caddy, but installing an OS just doesn't want to happen!

Thanks for your support so far - off to secure delete the drive

ICF 08:57 26 Dec 06

Download MaxBlast 4 click here

Phphred 10:08 26 Dec 06

click here

You could have a look at this but I know nothing about it!!

Phphred 10:12 26 Dec 06

I have just tried to download the demo version but there seems to be nothing there!!!!

RE1772 12:50 27 Dec 06

thanks guys - believe it or not, i managed to overcome it by using Acronis True Image 9.
I tried to 'attach' it as a new hard drive to my laptop (through a caddy) and after True Image formatted it, the problem solved itself.
i am still non the wiser about the original cause, but problem solved - Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos