failed hard drive

didums 13:08 09 Aug 05

I have a Seagate 80 gb hdd which has failed completely.It is out of warranty but my question is, would it be possible to retrieve the data on it.I can actually see a blown chip on the hdd main board it is a multichip surface mount device.
I have now installed antisurge protection and I realise that to replace the chip would unviable,would it however be possible to purchase a replacement mb and reinstate the hdd that way.
The hdd is a Barracuda model ST380021A,if I am on mission impossible please say so.

alan227 13:42 09 Aug 05

It is possible that a power surge could have detroyed the chip on your motherboard, but if it was the hard drive that caused it, it could cause the same problems on a new motherboard.
Your best bet is to buy a cheap second hand board and test it out that way.

DieSse 14:47 09 Aug 05

alan227 - it's not the motherboard - it's the board on the drive!

You might be able to do as you suggest - however the chances of finding precisely the same one are slim - and it's not impossible that the drive is also damaged internally - burnt out motor or heads, etc.

If you can find one and t works - you done a very low cost data recovery feat - it it doesn't work you've not spent too much. If you have the data professionally recoverd, it'll be an arm and a leg - so the choice is yours - it depends on the value of your data.

It may well be worth emailing Segate support for a board.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…