Failed to find hard drives on boot

NAVI 11:08 15 Mar 04

My pc has just failed to find hard drives on re-boot again ! Last year it happened so I replaced the HD This time it could not find either of my 2 HD's so I replugged the ribbon cable at the motherboard and it now works again, thank heavens.
My question is can a hard drive with operating system be fitted to any other pc to see if it actually does work ? with out damage to the other pc. I would dearly like to recover some files from last years HD cannot afford data recovery services @ circa £700-£900

Any helpful advice would be very welcome

Navi

temp003 11:42 15 Mar 04

Yes you can fit an old hdd which has an OS installed on it, to another computer (with right settings master slave and so on), go into BIOS to see if it's detected. If it is, there's a chance it's still working.

Just don't try to boot from the old hdd on the other computer.

Then load the OS on the other computer as usual, and see if it appears in My Computer. If so, explore the contents of the old hdd (assuming file system is not a hurdle). If the old hdd is working, you should be able to copy files from it.

NAVI 13:12 15 Mar 04

Thanks for that info sounds good to me !
so if I set the jumpers from master to slave on the old HD I could even temporarily swap it for my existing 2nd HD ? which might be easier for transfering files if it can be read.

temp003 14:01 15 Mar 04

Yes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…