Failed emails (BUT I DIDNT SEND THEM)

hawthorn59 00:27 06 Feb 04

Hi.This is weird. In the last day or two I have had emails bounce back at me, except these are ones I didnt actually send. Some had attachments and seemed to be home businesses, ebay, etc. I have browsed home business sites and ebay several times but this is strange. Here was the header of one attachmant:

Date: 6 Feb2004 16.59
To: [email protected]
cc: [email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

There were 3 other similar emails concerning your site, and several other ones apparantely sent by me to different sites (ebay, penis enlargement etc) which of course i didnt send.

Here is the content of one other:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at ma4.justnet.ne.jp.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
See here to Japanese error messages.
click here

[email protected]>:
Sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.1.1)

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Return-Path: [email protected]>
Received: (qmail 9928 invoked from network); Fri, 6 Feb 2004 08:20:48 +0900
Received: from ool-44c419db.dyn.optonline.net (68.196.25.219)
by ma4.justnet.ne.jp with SMTP; Fri, 6 Feb 2004 08:20:48 +0900
Received: from 62.208.93.248 by 210.139.247.43; Sat, 07 Feb 2004 00:20:47 +0100
Message-ID: [email protected]>
>From: "Kip Winkler" [email protected]>
Reply-To: "Kip Winkler" [email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Subject: Your own ebay business
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 02:19:47 +0300
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="--99909219173817176008"
X-Priority: 3
X-CS-IP: 40.159.0.158

Content-Type: text/html;
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

html> head> title> /title>
/head>
body background=3D"click here">

font color=3D#ffffff size=3D1>order confirmation. your order should be s=
hipped by January, via fedex.
your federal express tracking number is %RANDOM_WORD. /font> font size=3D=
"1"> BR>
font color=3D#ffffff> thank you for registering. your userid is:
%RANDOM_WORD /font> /font> br>

center>
a href=3D"click here"> img src=
=3D"click here" border=3D"0">
/a>

p> strong> font color=3D"#FF0000">Learn to Make A Fortune With Ebay! /f=
ont> br>
font color=3D"#9933CC">Complete Turnkey System /font> br> font color=3D=
"#FF00FF"> /font> strong> font color=3D"#000000"> Software - Videos - Turo=
rials /font> br> font color=3D"#FF0000">Get 2 F*R*E*E Airline Tickets If Y=
ou Order NOW! /font> br>
a href=3D"click here">
Cl !--%RANDOM_WORD-->ick Here For Information /a> /strong> br> /p>

/font> br> br> br>
p> /p> /p>
p> font color=3D"#000000" size=3D"2" face=3D"arial, helvetica, sans-seri=
f">cli !--%RANDOM_WORD-->ck
a href=3D"click here">here /a> if you would not like to =
receive future mai !--%RANDOM_WORD-->lings. /font> /p>
/center>

/body>
/html>

----99909219173817176008--

Im really sorry for the long post but this is weird.Its one thing having spam/home businesses email sent TO you, but as far as I can read these i am supposed to havereplied or signed up or whatever. Hope someone can help!

TH

VoG II 00:34 06 Feb 04

I've had these as well - don't worry, a virus on somebody else's machine is spoofing your e-mail address.

hugh-265156 00:34 06 Feb 04

never open any emails you are not expecting or if you are unsure of the sender.

just incase update and run your AV

also download update and run both adaware and spybot click here click here remove anything they find.

try mailwasher click here

The Nuclear Boy Scout 00:34 06 Feb 04

It could be just spam. I wouldn't worry too much about it - spammers are trying to catch people out with loads of different methods. If you're worried though, to running a spyware eliminator like AdAware, just in case there's any nasties on your machine.

click here

Good luck with it!

pinnicat 01:13 06 Feb 04

not so much a worry as right royal infringement on ones paranoir.
as the guys and gals before have pretty much concluded, plus...changing my e-mail address wiped em all out for now.
simplest and best advice though, is just don't open what you not expecting...'kitoff and keep your av up to scratch..best of luck.
the cat.

ventanas 08:31 06 Feb 04

Get a spate of these every day, all containing Novarg. It's as VoG says, your email address is being spoofed to hide the real scource. If anyone complains to you just tell to wise up on how these things work.

Gemma 09:17 06 Feb 04

I posted this in another thread.

Worm Tutorial
Assume some people have your details in their address book and get infected by a worm.
The worm will create an email addressed to someone randomly chosen from the infected persons address book with a randomly chosen email address from the same address book as the fake sender(which may be you). The worm adds the "payload", i.e. a copy of itself, and sends the email.

When it is received, a virus protection program will see the infected attachment and generate a return email (to you as the spoofed sender).

This advises you that you may be infected which, in most cases, is not true. The technique was originally designed to warm potential virus victims so that they coud take action. It is not such a good technique for worms. Given that worms are so variable, it is unlikely in the short term that a containment technique can be devised and implemented by the various manufacturers of protection software.

In the meantime just delete suspicious emails, delete any attachments they have, use protection to ensure you are clean. The protection should be an antivirus system, regular scans with the likes of Adaware, Spybot etc. (lots of guidance in this forum) and a Firewall for belt and braces.

The M$ mail clients are the normal targets as they come with the OS. You could choose another client like Eudora which the bad guys usually ignore.

NEVER give way to the temptation to have a look inside something suspicious just out of interest!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…