failed boot of XP

jbaker65 13:15 18 Mar 05

I built up a new computer using ASUS A7N8X-E m/b. and AMD xp+ CPU. When I tried to boot up, the screen showed the graphics card installed went on to test the memory counting up correctly to 512 meg and then froze. Although the instruction 'press delete to enter bios' is on the screen all keys are then dead and I cannot get into bios. I can only switch off. Anyone got any ideas??

spanneress 13:24 18 Mar 05

Start again using the minimal requirements only - mobo, PSU, memory, HDD and CDRom drive...if that works ok (which I suspect strongly it will) add hardware one piece at a time.

Did you get any beeps from the machine at all?

jbaker65 09:55 20 Mar 05

bump

jbaker65 10:48 22 Mar 05

Tried a minimum system start with the same result. Anyone else have any ideas?

Legolas 12:52 22 Mar 05

If you have any jumpers on the mb make sure they are set correctly for your processor etc. Bit of a long shot but worth a try.

Legolas 12:56 22 Mar 05

On thinking about your problem I remember on one of my builds having a similar situation the system would only boot so far and I would get some info on the monitor but nothing else. Turned out to be a faulty mb got a new one and all was well. Of course this mat not be the case with your system.

If you have two sticks of memory try removing one and then booting.

jbaker65 11:46 25 Mar 05

any other ideas?

jbaker65 14:10 29 Mar 05

Although I had changed the memory, the fault still turned out to be a faulty memory stick. All cured now. THANKS for the suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…