fading laser printer

Diodorus Siculus 13:08 07 Nov 03

I have a HP laserjet 5m printer which prints a little faded on one side of the page - the lefthand side is slightly less dark for about 1/4 of the page. I replaced the toner cardrigde thinking that it was nearing the end of its life but this has made no difference.

Any thoughts?

stupidhead 13:18 07 Nov 03

HP Color LaserJet 5 and 5M Printers - Poor Print Quality / Banding on the Internal Demo Page
ISSUE: Print quality degradation or banding is detected when printing an internal demo page.

SOLUTION: Clean both of the corona wires in the printer. This user maintenance should be performed by moving the sliders in a slow motion. Fifteen to twenty seconds should elapse from the moment the slider begins moving until it has been pushed the length of the wire. The same amount of time should be used to slide it back across and into the storage position.

SUMMARY: The exaggerated slowness of the slider movement dissipates charges built up on the corona wire more effectively than a quick motion. Dissipating the charges may restore print quality.

Diodorus Siculus 13:34 07 Nov 03

stupidhead - many thanks for that; I'll give it a go and report back.

Diodorus Siculus 15:35 07 Nov 03

My printer is not the colour one but still has the wires. There is no cleaner slider to move but I used a lint free cloth as per instructions on the hp.com site. But it has not worked.

Anything else very welcome...

flecc 16:39 07 Nov 03

Other possible causes are uneven toner distribution and damp on one side of the drum or toner. This last one is quite likely if the weather has changed for the worse recently as it has in so many parts of the country since condensation is more likely.

Try removing the cartridge, then tilting it from side to side to send the toner cascading from side to side a few times. Then hold the cartridge level and shake it up and down a few times to evenly bed the toner acros the bottom. Reload the cartridge taking care not to tilt it to one side and try again.

woodchip 16:45 07 Nov 03

Or you need a new drum

Diodorus Siculus 17:00 07 Nov 03

flecc - tilting: I have tried that with the old toner cartridge as I thought that was the cause. But it made no differece.

woodchip - I have tried a new cartridge and so I believe that it has something to do with the printer rather than the cartridge.

woodchip 17:03 07 Nov 03

Is your cartridge combined with the Drum like My Samsung ML-4500

flecc 19:28 07 Nov 03

If the drum is integral to the cartridge as woodchip asked, there's little else that can affect one part of the image beyond the coratron wires which you've already cleaned. The only other possibility I've seen is if something is in close proximity to one side of the coratron wire, partially discharging the high tension voltage acros the reduced air gap.

This would most likely be a scrap of torn paper from a jam, or a build up of waste toner beneath the wire on that side. Alternatively, if the wire has been displaced and is closer to it's frame at one end, that would produce an uneven transfer.

broggs 20:57 07 Nov 03

As an ex service engineer the fault could possibly be a dusty lens or mirror or glass.
You need to work out were the laser shines onto the drum and take it from there.

Diodorus Siculus 22:01 07 Nov 03

Thanks for those; when I get a chance I will examine it all in a little more depth and then get back to you on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…