Factory Reset...Help! iTunes and WMP 11

six-h 22:43 01 Mar 08

I'm about to do a re-set, and searched the forums for help concerning iTunes and WMP11 libraries.
found this from our learned FE : -
>> Forum Editor
Wed, [email protected]:58
thehill
You do the whole thing in iTunes, just select
backup to disc' from the file menu,
and yes, you can back up your playlists.

Very helpful, but..

Question: - Does it also back-up any associated artwork that you've lovingly pasted in?

Now, same question re WMP11, how to back-up, and include artwork??

Jake_027 23:42 01 Mar 08

I find the best way to do it is to copy paste (for files, i don't know if it works for playlists.

On XP, go to my documents>my music>itunes and copy that folder to an external source (unless you changed it or do not set itunes to copy files when adding to library all your songs should be in there also) and then when you re-install copy back into the same location. Open itunes and go to file>add folder to library and select the itunes music folder within the itunes music folder (confusing I know) and it should bring back in all songs with artwork. Same for Vista except the folder is in <username> > music > itunes. If your songs are not stored in this folder, copy it anyway and paste it back into the same location when you have reinstalled, then follow the above instructions to reimport and it should detect all your album artwork. I don't know about WMP11.

Another important thing, if you have bought any music from the itunes store make sure you go to the store menu and select deauthourize computer before you reinstall, otherwise itunes will detect your re-install as a new pc and it will use up one of your five allowed computer credits.

HTH

six-h 23:52 01 Mar 08

To be sure, I'll follow you, and F.E. as well:-)

For the record, I'm using XP, and don't have any DRM protected files.

Would be nice to get some response re WMP11 too.

six-h 17:15 02 Mar 08

library ensuring that the associated artwork is also saved!

I don't have any downloaded purchases, or DRM protected files to worry about.

six-h 17:57 02 Mar 08

Found all my WMP artwork whilst weeding out items not needed to be backed up!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos