F1 needed to startup

I got a comp for mum and dad to tinker with. All is fine apart from F1 needs to be pressed when the pc is turned on so that it boots into windows. Any ideas to fix this so it boots into windows itself? Thanks.

woodchip 22:22 31 May 06

That sounds like a BIOS problem. How old is the comp? and what Operating System is it running

EPoX 4GEMI Motherboard + P4 1.7GHz CPU running XP Pro.

woodchip 22:34 31 May 06

So I have no IDEA why that going off. If you have the XP CD try running SFC /SCANNOW from Run box. Failing that try a Repair. BUT for me the Problem is before Windows gets going So the best place to start may be have a look in the BIOS at the settings. It could be also "Boot.ini file" in Windows Explorer under C:\ if you see it open the File in Notepad copy and paste the contents hear

Hertz Van Rentyl 22:54 31 May 06

Possibly your CMOS battery is low, can you get into BIOS and load default settings.

ed-0 23:05 31 May 06

It sounds like the cmos battery. Check the time and date in the bios, probably delete when booting up.

If not does it say a bad checksum when booting?

Thanks Hertz Van Rentyl your suggestion worked. I went in to the bios and reset all settings to default and it boots up fine. Thanks again.

Hertz Van Rentyl 14:59 01 Jun 06

YVW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…