eye candy question

Kate B 18:41 23 Sep 03

this may be a dim question, but is it possible to use the rather delicious-looking Mac monitors and keyboards with an otherwise boring beige PC?

-pops- 18:50 23 Sep 03

If your priorities are style over substance, look in your local large computer supermarket where you could see some machines that may suit your criteria.

You may scoff at "boring beige" but the man at IBM who chose that colour was very wise. Boring beige is perhaps the best colour for disguising marks, blemishes and dust that inevitably collect on surfaces.

I was asked to buld a machine in a black case once. It was showing the grime even before it was completed - and no, it wasn't because my house is unduly dirty or dusty:-)

Kate B 18:53 23 Sep 03

pops, I'm really happy otherwise with the performance of my beige box. I'd just like the keyboard and monitor to look a bit nicer, and I think Apple has triumphed on that front.

-pops- 18:55 23 Sep 03

Have a look at what's available at PCW or somewhere like that.

Kate B 18:58 23 Sep 03

I'm familiar with the PC offerings - I was wondering if anyone could actually answer my specific question.

Djohn 19:02 23 Sep 03

I agree with you. It's nice to have attractive looking components on your desktop. All mine are now in shades of slate blue and silver, from my monitor, keyboard, scanner, printer, keyboard and mouse. Oh, and speakers as well.

Case is still in beige, but will in the next week or so be changed to match the rest of the system. Have fun. j.

bremner 19:03 23 Sep 03

click here and it seems to suggest with this it is possible

Djohn 19:05 23 Sep 03

Not sure if you can use the Mac components, but you can purchase very similar monitors and keyboards that are intended for PC's. j.

Djohn 19:10 23 Sep 03

click here Have a look at the nice offerings here. If you click on monitors then on keyboards, it will state that you can use the apple versions with PC's. j.

Forum Editor 19:29 23 Sep 03

and in the case of the Apple Pro keyboard just plug it in.

Windows 98SE/ME/2000 or XP will all recognise the keyboard, will install a generic driver, and away you go. You'll find that a couple of he function keys might not work, and the Apple optical drive 'eject' key definitely won't, but who cares? As you say, Apple has got what it takes when it comes to designing computer hardware.

The monitor is also no problem - you'll need to get one of the adapters mentioned by bremner, but your Apple monitor dealer should be able to sort that out for you.

While you're about it, why not fork out for one of the new Apple G5 dream machines? The have to be the best computers around at the moment - both in terms of looks and performance. Let's start with the 'basic' G5 at about $1900, teamed with a 17" Apple flat panel studio display (another $700), or should we go straight for the dual 2Ghz processor G5 at $3000 and the 23" flat panel at $2000?

Yes, let's do that. I'll be round to play when you've got them set up.

Kitz E Kat 19:47 23 Sep 03

Hmmmmmm tasty.....
You forgot to mention the best OS by far in OSX, make's all others look, well, beige!!!!!!!!

Yours
Kitz E Kat
PS. Can i call around with the FE to 'play' with it?????
Please!!!!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…