Extremely slow shut down on win XP Pro

steven_frost 16:54 06 Jul 03

after telling the pc to shut down it takes about 5 mins for the pc shut down i've changed the waittokillapp reg to 2000 which seems to have spped thing up a little but not alot the sticking point is when windows says windows is shutting down this takes about to make a cup of coffee to ethier reboot or shut down any advice please

running windows XP Pro 320mb ram norton antivirus and sygate firewall

The Spires 17:09 06 Jul 03

Is your hard drive light on during the time XP is waiting to close, if so it could be the clean page file has somehow been activated, quite a few cleaning progs do this & it takes a minute or two to do. click here Unless your hiding state secrets it's unnecessary.

-pops- 17:09 06 Jul 03
  steven_frost 18:19 06 Jul 03

thanks guys for all your help system now shutting down in about 20sec which is a great improvment on 5 mins

just to let you all know a friend of mine had the same problem and he emailed me as well with a fix here it is

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
(dword:00000001 = enabled . . dword:00000000 = disabled)

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop]

seems to have sorted it all out

The Spires 10:58 07 Jul 03

Erm, that's the same as on the link I sent, do you not read it? Doh.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…