Extracting/ripping audio from CDs not working!

Gaz W 16:09 30 Apr 05

This is really driving me mad! I'm trying to rip audio CDs to my hard disk to back them up. Before I start a thread on copyright law, these are genuine CDs and whether or not it is legal to back them up I am going to because there is no way I'm paying for something twice if it gets damaged.

I have tried ripping with Exact Audio Copy and dBpowerAmp, but both produce similar results; I get random loud screeching/scratching noises during playback of the output wave files (like fingernails down a blackboard but very high pitched)... it's the same noise you get with bad reception on digital TV.

The CDs in question are in immaculate condition, although I have tried just about every CD I have, in both my disc drives, in 2 programs. I have even tried it with a couple of copied discs to see if it was copy protection, but this didn't work either. All I can do is copy the discs using Nero, but I don't want extra discs hanging around the place at the moment.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Fingees 17:27 30 Apr 05

Why bother to rip them.

I have copied CDs with no problrm using Nero, doing a straight forward copy.

Gaz W 18:25 30 Apr 05

I want to rip them because as I said earlier, I don't want to have to store 2 copies of every CD I have, when I have a perfectly good 250GB hard drive waiting to store all of my CDs ready to burn should I destroy the originals accidentally.

mike1967 18:47 30 Apr 05

Use window media 10 its free and it works with all my cds, but I'm sure someone on here will say its crap cause microsoft make it

Gaz W 19:59 30 Apr 05

LOL maybe - I never imagined that Microsoft would allow ripping CDs! I'll see what happens with that then.

By the way I tried updating EAC and it still has the same problem, despite it reporting no errors and the quality being reported as 100%!

mike1967 20:04 30 Apr 05

Believe me it works

Gaz W 20:07 30 Apr 05

Hi, you probably won't believe this but...

I ripped it in Media Player. I then played it in Winamp and at first it seemed to play fine, but at one point it just stops with a bit of a squeaking noise, and I have to move the bar along a little bit and start it playing again!

My computer must be cursed!

Gaz W 20:08 30 Apr 05

Oh, and Media Player can't play it at all past a certain point much earlier on!

What is wrong with my computer???

mike1967 20:09 30 Apr 05

Think you must be
Are you using XP as operating system as well, are you sure your cd rom is ok as well

mike1967 20:10 30 Apr 05

Forgot to add why not use media player to play the ripped music as well

Gaz W 20:10 30 Apr 05

Windows XP Pro, tried with various drives... the one I've just used is a 10 month old NEC DVD writer that is otherwise perfectly fine.

I think my hard drive may be the cause because anything other than data on it seems to just go wrong!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…