extracting text from a pdf

jake5 08:29 19 Jan 05

Hi,
Does anyone know a way of extracting sections of text from a pdf document?
Thanks

georgemac 08:35 19 Jan 05

only way I can see using reader is to select all, copy to word then delete the bits you don't want.

jake5 08:37 19 Jan 05

Unfortunatly the select all button is greyed out!

Diodorus Siculus 08:38 19 Jan 05

What version? More recent versions allow the user to select text - there is a button near the top to click and then by dragging the mouse it is possible to select the text.

Diodorus Siculus 08:39 19 Jan 05

jake5 - that means that the author has locked the file to prevent it being copied. Some OCR programs can scan them and get the text.

jake5 08:43 19 Jan 05

Diodorus,
Version 6, and yes, I appreciate the fact that it has been locked, but it is a 4 year old document and we have now been given permission to use parts of it, but cannot get at them.
May have to go backto original author!
thanks

georgemac 08:45 19 Jan 05

I am using version 7

Diodorus Siculus 08:46 19 Jan 05

Do you have a recent OCR program? Worth trying.

jake5 08:46 19 Jan 05

Perhaps I should upgrade?

Brian-336451 09:12 19 Jan 05

INstead of 'select all' have you tried to highlight selected passages then copy and paste (using the text tool)?

I've certainly done that to get information from some documents. I'm using Acrobat 6 (7 Reader is out but have only downloaded it, not used it yet)

TomJerry 09:27 19 Jan 05

if select text button greyed out, then the file is protected by either password or security certificate, it means that the author of the files does not want you do re-use the document

no matter which version you have, it simply cannot be done

if you got permission, you can try "Diodorus Siculus" method, print out and scan it in

there are some pdf file password recovery software, you can search web to find out, but they are not free.

you can also try convert doc click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…