Extra Value Desktop PC, Intel Dual Core E5300, 4GB

ivesy 14:31 31 Aug 09

Product no. 164667. This PC has caught my eye. Would I able to add a Q9650 quad core chip to this set up at a later date? The only info I have so far is it has a LGA775 socket for intel chips.

Any advice on this PC and the upgrade options would be greatly appreciated.

GaT7 15:33 31 Aug 09

Well, going from info on other forums, the motherboard is a Foxconn G31MX-K click here, with the CPU support list at click here.

So the answer is YES!

Regarding the PC itself, many of us think it represents very good value (even though you could build the same for a similar price). Some things to note about it:

1. It has no OS installed, but an OEM one can be purchased for £60-65

2. It not only has integrated graphics, but also a PCI-E 16x slot - this is so a dedicated graphics card can be added if required.

The best one (from a 3D/gaming viewpoint) that will not need a PSU upgrade as well is a £50 HD 4670 - e.g. click here.

If you just need a dedicated one &/or to increase connectivity options, then something like a £23 HD 4350 will be more than sufficient - e.g. click here (some include a dedicated HDMI port).

3. The motherboard has only 2 RAM slots, so you cannot increase the RAM any further (unless they start making 4Gb modules).

4. - The motherboard is mATX, so will have fewer expansion slots.

So, overall very good, with a few limitations. If the latter bothers you, then you should go for one with more upgrade options, or even consider building one yourself. G

ivesy 15:40 31 Aug 09

Cheers Crossbow.

Now where did i put my credit card!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017