extra ram not recognised

logix 08:15 01 Aug 07

i have installed an extra 256mb ddr pc2700 stick into my desktop.the two sticks in total are both the same speed and size. the problem is my bios does not recognise the extra 256mb on boot up. also when in windows system device manager says i still have 256mb. the weird thing is PC Wizard 2007 reports i have 512mb in total and even gives the make and speed of the two sticks.
one is emtec the other is by kingston.
why does pc wizard recognise the memory but windows and my bios on boot does'nt. is the extra 256mb there or not?

wee eddie 08:29 01 Aug 07

RAM compatibility is something of an arcane art-form, which is why many of us use Crucial.

HCOOH 10:38 01 Aug 07

How is it installed only sometimes the slots used can make a difference. Have you tried using one stick at a time in the original slot.

HCOOH 10:46 01 Aug 07

Is the new stick the Kingston only they will usually replace a faulty/wrong stick.

dan* 10:55 01 Aug 07

If you have more than 2 ram slots on your motherboard, it could be you need to insert the ram in specific slots. Name of motherboard?

Also try clearing the cmos jumper or reset the bios so it reads the new hardware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…