Extra internet connection

I currently have a computer which connects to the net with ntlworld bb. It connects via a lead from the set top box into the back of my comp. I also have a laptop which I need to connect to the net but I don't want to keep puling the tv out and unplugging the lead etc.

Can I do this wirelessly? If so what type of hardware do I need, where from and at what sort of cost. Thanks.

Hairy Yeti 22:04 14 Feb 05

A little more info would help to answer your question. ie What make/model PC and laptop? Wireless may be built in to one or both. What operating systems?

You can do it wirelessly. You would of course need to have the m/c with the hard conection to the internet switched on to browse from the other one.

Main computer:- Amd Athlon 2.2 Ghz 512 DDR Ram 120Gb

Laptop:- Acer Travelmate 233XC Mobile Intel Celeron 2.0Ghz 256 DDR Ram 30Gb

Both are running XP Pro.

^

Hairy Yeti 23:13 14 Feb 05

Is your desktop m/c a branded PC?

Re laptop - The spec says "Integrated IEEE 802.11b wireless LAN with internal antenna (available on selected models only)". Do you know if?
You can find out by
- from the windows desktop right click My Network Places then on the menu click properties. If you have a wireless adaptor fitted it should show here. (Try this on the desktop m/c also).

With the hardware sorted the operating systems will be up to the job.

TomJerry 23:26 14 Feb 05

you can find from broadbandbuyer click here

Hairy Yeti 23:41 14 Feb 05

You may want to check out this other thread.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…