extra hard drive

yaesu 20:19 07 Jun 06

Hi folks, I've a Dell with ST380011a ultra ATA100 80Gb drive and want to add another for back up use. can I use this click here please? or would it be better to add another ST380011a? Thanks, regards, yaesu

ed-0 20:23 07 Jun 06

Yes you can, as long as you have a spare IDE connector and a spare power connector.

Have you thought of using an external usb hard drive. The prices are dropping and they are more versatile than an internal drive.

Totally-braindead 20:26 07 Jun 06

The only time you need to worry about using a similar or identical drive is when you use something called RAID. This is not what you wish to do so you can use this or indeed any other IDE hard drive. Just make sure that there is a free space inside to fit it and a spare power connector. You may also need to buy an IDE ribbon cable depending on whether you have a connector free.
If this seems too much to worry about then you could either buy an external hard drive or one such as you have highlighted above and buy an external enclosure such as this click here . I would suggest that you make sure you have USB 2.0 on your PC if you want to use an external hard drive though as USB 1.1 is very slow and a backup would take ages.

yaesu 20:35 07 Jun 06

Thanks folks, tick as resolved. yaesu

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…