External USB hard drive advice

May$ 14:20 09 Dec 04

Hi,

I've recently been looking at a External USB drive that I can connect to our server for backup. I have seen several hard drive around 250GB(which is more then enough).

However most seem to require an an additional power pack plugged into the mains.

I was just wondering if i should look for external hard drive that draws its power from the pc, or go with the one a power pack.

Cheers

TomJerry 16:01 09 Dec 04

if you want to get power from PC (host powered), you need to get laptop verison (2.5") which is expensive and largest capacity if 80GB. The power from usb or firewire is not enough to spin a 3.5" hard driver

another way is DIY, get the power from psu of computer, but this will make the set up very untidy

May$ 20:08 09 Dec 04

does anyone know if i can use any external hard drive for the server as i have been told i can only use certain drives. We're using windows server 2000 btw .

May$ 20:08 09 Dec 04

does anyone know if i can use any external hard drive for the server as i have been told i can only use certain drives. We're using windows server 2000 btw .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…