External USB drive does not support long filenames

CLONNEN 07:29 19 Jun 05

I have recently upgraded my external Pockey USB drive to a larger capacity.

I want to transfer copies of all my documents onto it for backup purposes. However when I try to copy a file which has a long name I receive the following message :

The destination does not support long file names. Please enter a name for this file.

Why am I limited to just 8charcters in a filename. My old drive never had this restriction. How do I enable long filename support on it?

bremner 07:38 19 Jun 05

What file system is the drive formatted with?

Catastrophe 07:40 19 Jun 05

Does this help?

click here

Google
usb "long filenames"

:)

CLONNEN 07:57 19 Jun 05

It is an 80GB drive formatted in FAT32 the same as the old drive was using.

I am using an old driver designed for Windows 98 / ME as that is the only one which comes with it.

XP is supposed to detect USB drives and use its own built in driver but I have been unable to get XP to do this so I guess I am stuck with the old driver.

The drive does not seem to be appearing in My Computer under its drive letter (Y). Appears in XP's Disk Management and allows me to Open it by right-clicking on it and selecting Open.

I am not sure what I have done wrong. Can anyone help me?

CLONNEN 08:48 19 Jun 05

It's okay Panic Over!

Uninstalled and reinstalled the Pockey drive. Went into XP's Disk Management screen and Changed the Drive Letter. Loogged out of Windows and then logged back in again. Hey Presto my drive appeared in My Computer and is happily copying files with long and short names.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…