external usb BB modem surge protection

newearwax 18:09 21 Jun 04

When I was using an internal dial up modem protection was maintained by putting the lead from the computer through the Belkin surge protector and then to the wall outlet with a Belkin supplied lead. Now I cannot do this because the lead from the modem to the splitter has a smaller end piece as you will be aware. I could, I suppose, place the splitter into the surge protector but the splitter would then foul the out lead to the BT socket. Even if I could do what I've mentioned would it work both as to the BB connection and the protection of my modem. I have no need of a protected telephoen line at the location as I am using an extension cordless with the power lead protected. Any advice will be helpful and appreciated.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:50 21 Jun 04

There is virtually no chance of a USB modem receiving any sort of surge. Don't worry about it.

G

Al94 19:03 21 Jun 04

GANDALF <|:-)> is absolutely right, only danger from power surges are items connected directly to the mains. I lost one power supply for a wireless modem router as it wasn't connected to a surge protector, could have been much worse and I since have everything pc related protected now - but aren't we wierd, no such protection I'll bet on TV, Video, DVD and all other domestic appliances - I know I haven't yet often read reports of disputes with electric supply companies for items such as washing machines which have lain down and died after a power cut and restart.

newearwax 19:10 21 Jun 04

But I have always believed that lightning could come down the line and fry the modem that way, but On that I don't know if it applies to only up the pole connections. Does your comment stand as before?

€dstowe 19:45 21 Jun 04

Whether or not there is a risk, Belkin surge protectors with RJ45 (BB modem) connectors are available.

I have a Belkin guarantee leaflet in front of me now that illustrates this.

Unfortunately, the illustrated model is not one of the ones I have so I can't give a reference number.

€d

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:39 21 Jun 04

IF lightning were to 'could come down the line', I think you would find that tens of thousands of amperes with a duration in the order of 100 microseconds would fry much more before it ever reached a modem...the modem would be the least of your worries.

G

dogtrack 10:17 22 Jun 04

Have to admit, i got a fried 56k modem in a thunder storm a couple of years ago. Had unplugged the PC, but left the phone line connected... I wont get caught again!!

Gongoozler 10:41 22 Jun 04

I'm using a Belkin surge protector with my BB modem. The cable from the wall socket goes to the protector input, then the cable from the splitter connects to the output. My dial-up modem and BB modem share the splitter outputs.

Although a surge protector won't do much for a direct lightning strike to the cable, it will help with induced spikes from near strikes which are much more common. A few years ago I rebuilt a computer that had had the dial-up modem and motherboard wrecked by a thunder storm. For the small cost of the surge protector I can't see the sense in not adding the extra security even if th erisk is low.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…