external usb BB modem surge protection

newearwax 18:09 21 Jun 04

When I was using an internal dial up modem protection was maintained by putting the lead from the computer through the Belkin surge protector and then to the wall outlet with a Belkin supplied lead. Now I cannot do this because the lead from the modem to the splitter has a smaller end piece as you will be aware. I could, I suppose, place the splitter into the surge protector but the splitter would then foul the out lead to the BT socket. Even if I could do what I've mentioned would it work both as to the BB connection and the protection of my modem. I have no need of a protected telephoen line at the location as I am using an extension cordless with the power lead protected. Any advice will be helpful and appreciated.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:50 21 Jun 04

There is virtually no chance of a USB modem receiving any sort of surge. Don't worry about it.

G

Al94 19:03 21 Jun 04

GANDALF <|:-)> is absolutely right, only danger from power surges are items connected directly to the mains. I lost one power supply for a wireless modem router as it wasn't connected to a surge protector, could have been much worse and I since have everything pc related protected now - but aren't we wierd, no such protection I'll bet on TV, Video, DVD and all other domestic appliances - I know I haven't yet often read reports of disputes with electric supply companies for items such as washing machines which have lain down and died after a power cut and restart.

newearwax 19:10 21 Jun 04

But I have always believed that lightning could come down the line and fry the modem that way, but On that I don't know if it applies to only up the pole connections. Does your comment stand as before?

€dstowe 19:45 21 Jun 04

Whether or not there is a risk, Belkin surge protectors with RJ45 (BB modem) connectors are available.

I have a Belkin guarantee leaflet in front of me now that illustrates this.

Unfortunately, the illustrated model is not one of the ones I have so I can't give a reference number.

€d

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:39 21 Jun 04

IF lightning were to 'could come down the line', I think you would find that tens of thousands of amperes with a duration in the order of 100 microseconds would fry much more before it ever reached a modem...the modem would be the least of your worries.

G

dogtrack 10:17 22 Jun 04

Have to admit, i got a fried 56k modem in a thunder storm a couple of years ago. Had unplugged the PC, but left the phone line connected... I wont get caught again!!

Gongoozler 10:41 22 Jun 04

I'm using a Belkin surge protector with my BB modem. The cable from the wall socket goes to the protector input, then the cable from the splitter connects to the output. My dial-up modem and BB modem share the splitter outputs.

Although a surge protector won't do much for a direct lightning strike to the cable, it will help with induced spikes from near strikes which are much more common. A few years ago I rebuilt a computer that had had the dial-up modem and motherboard wrecked by a thunder storm. For the small cost of the surge protector I can't see the sense in not adding the extra security even if th erisk is low.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now