External (USB 2) DVD Rewriter

swanson2 12:02 31 Dec 04

Hi,

I am contemplating purchasing for about £70 a Liteon 1633SX 16x DVD R/RW Dual Layer External USB 2.0 DVD Rewriter.

Has any one any experience of this product? and will it allow me to make exact copies of my existing DVD Movies and VHS tapes for my personal use?

I am using Windows XP on a PC with AMD 1700XP processor and 512 MB RAM.

GroupFC 12:44 31 Dec 04

If you don't mind I'm going to piggyback on this as I'm interested in getting the same!

BTW, where are you getting it from?

'G' 12:54 31 Dec 04

Most DVD rewriters are made by NEC and generally are, in part, its lower spec model used by other manufacturers. Therefore, it makes sense to go for a NEC model from the out set. The exception is the excellent Pioneer 108 that can read DVD-RAM also.

I would recommend either NEC model 3500A or 3520A (I’ve order two of these from Ebuyer – see link)

The enclosure I would recommend is Belkin’s as it comes with a lifetime guarantee. It can be used for all internal devices, e.g., CD, DVD, and HDD. You get the enclosure, power supply unit and a very long and useful USB cable.

Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 External Drive Enclosure Kit
£47.28 Inc VAT
click here

NEC ND3520A 16x DVD R/RW Dual Layer Internal IDE Beige OEM
£46.99 Inc VAT
click here

For DVD copying there is only two pieces of software you need. Slysoft’s AnyDVD and CloneDVD at click here. AnyDVD has lifetime free upgrades. CloneDVD is technically Elaborates software.

Why do you not do some of this using internal devices?

swanson2 23:46 03 Jan 05

Thanks for that.

Sorry to be so late responding but have been away for a few days.

GroupFC - I have ordered it from Ebuyer.

G - I will be using it with three separate computers that aren't networked so thought it would be the most cost effective way.

Regards

woodchip 23:49 03 Jan 05

Why a External??? when a Internal is cheaper and should work faster, and be less of a problem. If it's a Laptop I can understand

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…