external Toshiba HDD 300Gb major problem...

g-funk 12:50 26 Jul 07

Hi I'm Gav and have a massive problem with locating my external HDD within my computer as the HDD doesn't even register as being present when I click on my computer to view all disk drives...

When I turn on the HDD the computer registers that the drive is present as it makes the windows acknowledgment noise, same as when I remove the USB lead it makes the windows noise again. But I cannot find the drive when I look for it through my computer/explorer/computer management...it's as if the drive suddenly stopped working correctly 2-3 days ago.

Upon turning the external HDD on it makes starting up noises of the drive whirring around but then it makes a clicking sound as if the disks inside the drive cannot fully spin around and thus cannot access the drive.
As this drive carries many samples and music and films I dearly would like to keep the information, can anyone help with locating my drive or identifying any issue with the operation, or any idea of how to fix my external HDD???? I would be extremely grateful...
regards
G-funk.

Pamy 15:32 26 Jul 07

Suggest that you download and make a HDD diagnostic disk from the makers site if they have one. Maxtor,Seagate and Hitachi do them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017