External speaker for TV.

tonyx1302 19:45 23 Mar 08

The sound on my mum-in-laws new TV.. lcd LG 22" and a Curry's special.. is very tinny and voices sound as they speaking in an empty room.It is a comparatively cheap telly and guess the speaker quality is not the best. I have adjusted all the settings but to no avail. Unfortunatly there are no bass/treble settings so I cannot improve the sound just pre-set surround/stereo/mono etc so I am wondering is it poss. to fit an external speaker via one of the jacks at the rear. If so how please and through which jack ?

F.E. I am aware that this is not a computer problem and will understand if you need to delete this post

Tony

johnnyrocker 19:50 23 Mar 08

i would get currys to check it as i have not come across a tinny lg tv yet and i fix many, it could be the speaker has come away from case?

johnny

tonyx1302 19:57 23 Mar 08

Thank you for post jonnyrocker but can you believe it.We brought two of the same model....LG 22LS4D reduced from £399 to £299 and they both have the same awful sound. The picture and Freeview are excellent but the sound is a disaster !

Tony

Stuartli 20:13 23 Mar 08

Altec Lansing, a well known US hi-fi speakers manufacturer, also produces computer speaker systems at a range of prices.

These (in this case on the Tesco.com website) could be an answer:

click here

tonyx1302 20:19 23 Mar 08

Thank you for that Stuartli but does the system from your post just plug in to the back of the TV set and work or will I need an amplifier as well ?

Tony

woodchip 20:26 23 Mar 08

Firt, you need to have RCA out connection on the TV If it as these Computer powered speakers would work if Connection was changed on them

tonyx1302 20:36 23 Mar 08

Hi woodchip. I am in un-chartered waters now. I have checked the rear of the set and there is no mention of a RCA connection. The only connections shown are..RGB (pc)In which is a scart conn. and the rest are all jack plug conn. for Audio...Video and Audio in (RGB DVI)

Tony

Stuartli 21:48 23 Mar 08

My main 26in LCD TV has a myriad of video and audio connectors; you could probably even use the headphone socket at a push.

Stuartli 21:56 23 Mar 08

Sorry to have to tell you you could have bought cheaper...:-(

click here

The specifications are here:

click here

woodchip 22:06 23 Mar 08

jack's are ok you may be able to connect coputers strait in, if you get some with power adapter, they are with amps

Stuartli 23:03 23 Mar 08

The differences are described as passive and active speakers - it's the latter that have built-in amplifiers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…