External monitor for a laptop

dms05 12:11 07 Nov 07

I want to add a larger LCD monitor to my laptop. Looking in Display Settings the max resolution of the integrated SIS graphics card is 2048*1536 which is better than the 1920*1440 of the screen I'd like to buy. However the SIS card share 128MB of RAM (out of a system total od 1024MB). Would this be enough for use with XP? I don't run games or other very high graphics demand devices.

crosstrainer 12:18 07 Nov 07

Fine...it would struggle in games, but as you say...you don't play them.

anskyber 12:27 07 Nov 07

I agree with crosstrainer, my wife uses a laptop with a system total of 512MB of RAM and shared graphics RAM and it runs a 19inch second screen perfectly.

I say second because the original laptop screen is used as an extended desktop and the email, skype and some other programs are displayed there to free up the main screen.

dms05 13:15 07 Nov 07

anskyber - that sounds an interesting configuration. Does it need extra software/hardware or is it a built in facility on the laptop?

anskyber 13:38 07 Nov 07

It's a facility in Windows and unless things are very basic then it should be available to you.

Here's a guide click here which is for a desktop so assumes two ports for the monitor which naturally you do not need with the integrated laptop screen.

anskyber 13:42 07 Nov 07

I should add that to have the ability to have two separate screens as opposed to stretching the info over two screens you will need to select "use this device as the primary monitor" for the one you want, I guess the new screen.

After that windows (not maximised windows) can be dragged from one screen to another.....very hand!

anskyber 13:42 07 Nov 07

or even handy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017