External Media - USB Pen Drive Etc

NSBT 04:54 25 Sep 07

I have an mini ipod and download from itunes, however I noticed this reply to another FM thread.

“Why not save that music to an external media such as a USB pen drive or CD rather than letting it clog up and slow down the HDD?”

OK, how do I do that please?

C3 06:07 25 Sep 07

I'm guessing that whatever you download from Apple will be stored in a special folder somewhere on your drive.

All you'll probably need to do is find that folder, open it up and copy the files onto your Pen Drive.

If you wanna burn a CD or DVD with all the MP3s on, then just use your normal burning software and navigate to where the files are stored and copy them.

)I've not used iTunes for a long time after it screwed up all my file associations then crashed every time I tried to use it so I'm just making an educated guess at this!)

NSBT 14:41 25 Sep 07

Hi C3

I used to have a split drive C: / and D:/

I stored my music to D:/, unfortunately my hard dive crashed, it was replaced under warranty, now I only have one drive C:/

I haven't a clue where it stores my music now.

I trust that makes sense.

tullie 16:05 25 Sep 07

Is it in the Music folder?

DieSse 23:18 25 Sep 07

Just storing media files on your hard drive does NOT "clog up and slow down your PC".

Only if you drive is very full up indeed (90%ish or so) will it begin to have an effect.

Aaron-188486 10:34 26 Sep 07

The only time it could slow down you PC is if you delete the music files enmasse and it leaves a big gap on the hardrive. But a simple defrag would sort this out.

My best advice would be to buy an external hard drive which is also connected via the usb but they hold gigabytes more than a USB pen. You can buy an 80gb external HD for £50 upwards. It's a worthy investment because if your computer should crash and die you still have all your music! In addition the music files for itunes is normally created in the my Music folder and segregated into the relevant albums. It's a simply case of copying the folder by right clicking the folder and selecting copy. Go to My Computer and open the drive you wish to copy it too, double click to open and paste. All ths info should transfer and away you go!

Hope this helps

NSBT 06:21 29 Sep 07

OK, cheers, I think I understand what you are all saying.

(P.S. Been away for a few days, hence why I did not reply earlier)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…