External Maxtor HD Problem

Adz1310 23:25 06 Apr 05

Who can help me?? Bought An Maxtor HD. At the moment it is bout half full with music. Yday went to play some music off it, wouldnt work. Wen you plug it in, the drive is found, and in the remove hardware button it is there for all to see, but there is no way of accessing the device through my computer, etc. Any suggestions to rectify this? OS - Windows XP, the blue light is on so power get to it, and the usb must be working for it to show up in the remove hardware shouldnt it and making a sound?

DieSse 00:04 07 Apr 05

Can you tell us EXACTLY what happens when you do try to use the drive, and related to what you try to do - what programs you try to use - error messages (if any) etc.

"Not accessible" and "doesn't work" is of limited use, as we can't see what you try to do, and what happens when you try to do it.

Adz1310 11:59 07 Apr 05

no error messages,
the unit is powered up as the light is on
it is a maxtor one touch,
when you switch it off behind a noise is made to say the hardware has been switched off, so Win xp is recognising that the drive is there.
But there seems to be no way of accessing it. As it does not appear in my compouter.
any suggestion?

DieSse 13:19 07 Apr 05

Try going to Start - Settings - Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management

Does it show up there? - is it marked as available and Healthy?

What do you mean by "There's no way of accessing it? - Does it not show up in Explorer?

What happens if you disconnect the USB cable, wait a minute or two, then reconnect it?

Adz1310 18:07 07 Apr 05

did what you said,
nothing, the little icon where, the clock is and you can remove your hardwrae, the maxtor drive is there, and makes the 'beep' when you connect any hardware. but doesnt seem to be anywhere else. not in my computer, explorer, disk management etc.

woodchip 18:10 07 Apr 05

Open Win Explorer to see if you can see the drive if you can right click\properties\Tools Check Drive

freaky 18:54 07 Apr 05

bump^^^^^

Adz1310 19:04 07 Apr 05

no it is not there in explorer!
but it is in the safely remove hardware section!

DieSse 19:06 07 Apr 05

Are you completely sure it doesn't show up in Disk Management - did you scroll down the lower right hand pane to check. Try Selecting Rescan and see if it appears.

Also Check in Settings - Control Panel - System - Device Manager - Disk Drives - click on the +. Does it appear there - if it does does it have a yellow exclamation on it?

Adz1310 19:12 07 Apr 05

yes it appears in disk drives but doesnt have a yellow exclamation on it?????????!!!!!!????

Adz1310 19:34 07 Apr 05

any one any suggestions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…