External Keyboard for Laptop don't work

Job CF 17:23 28 May 07

I have an IBM/lenovo Thinkpad R51 Series 2887 NQ7. A notebook about 18 months old and running XP SP2

I want to use an external keyboard and bought a Trust KB-1150 Mutimedia Keyboard. It has PS/2 connector; Thinkpad does not. So I connected using the USB to PS/2 converter that is part of a USB hub (Model MS-8 Hub Master by a4tech.com), sold by Maplins.

The new keyboard does not work at all :-(
No lights, nothing!

Any ideas / solutions?

Many thanks!

Strawballs 17:39 28 May 07

click here
You could try replacing the keyboard in the laptop

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:46 28 May 07

You need to enter the BIOS and Enable USB legacy for DOS.

Job CF 21:32 28 May 07

Starwballs, Physically replacing the keyboard or some other way?

Fruit Bat, checked BIOS. USB legacy was already enabled.

PS. Hub Master is working well in every other way.

/\ # £ /\ :-)

wee eddie 22:04 28 May 07

Why did you buy a PS2 Keyboard when you did not have a PS2 socket?

Get a USB Keyboard and put the other one on eBay

Job CF 22:18 28 May 07

Eddie,
I didn't check :-(
PS2 is originally an IBM innovation so I assumed all IBM computers had a PS2 socket including my notebook.

Will have to get a USB keyboard if everything else fail. All four USB port on the hub are already taken up, though.

Hopefully, we can somehow get the USB to PS/2 Converter on the Hub Master to do what it is supposed to do.

wee eddie 23:01 28 May 07

I think that you should consider the possibility that you might be overloading your USB sockets.

I know that, in theory, you can run 128 items but this assumes that they all have external power sources. Maybe yours don't.

Job CF 13:32 30 May 07

In Device Manager, under 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers' the MS-8 Hub Master show up as 'Generic USB Hub' and driven by a Microsoft
Driver.

Under the power tab, all four USB devices plugged in are listed. Total power required is 204 mA. I use a 1000 mA PSU for the hub. Also tried with only the keyboard connected to the hub.

Just noticed that the headphones socket on the hub is not working. Don't have a mic or PS/2 mouse to check the other two ports on the hub.

Job CF 17:53 04 Jun 07

At the PC end, the hub also has four connectors in addition to a USB connector. Two PS2 and two jack plugs. When I plugged in the green and violet jack plugs in to the PC, sockets for these on the hub worked, indicating that they are extensions. PS2 sockets on the hub must also be just connectors and not converters.

The product description by Maplin and the manufacturers on the box by is very mis-leading. But it was only UKP12 and I need the four USB port it has. So I will keep it rather than take it back.

Thanks everyone for your efforts :-)

Job CF
West Sussex

wee eddie 18:20 04 Jun 07

I am not familiar with this model although I have viewed it's specification and Photograph.

What voltage does it work from? You mention a 1000 mA PSU but the Sales blurb mentions no Power Supply Unit. Should it not be plugged directly into the mains?

Can you try the Keyboard on a Mates PC.

Job CF 18:47 04 Jun 07

They don't supply one but in the instructions they recommend a 2A PSU. It is 5V DC.
2A is of course the maximum requirement.

Spec by manufacturers at
click here

Guess many people buy it thinking that it has a PS2 converter.

Maplin sell a converter for around £9. Same one from eBuyer for under £2. I will get one of those next time I put together an order big enough for mail order.

//\£££££
#####
\\\\////###\\\/\\\

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…