External IDE to USB problems.

gwolst77 01:14 24 Feb 06

help.

i just built a new pc (with all the bells and whistles). i've gone from ide to sata on my new rig so i decided to buy 2 external drive enclosures from scan computers "AKASA Integral 3.5" Aluminium enclosure", for my old ide drives so i could still use them for back ups (and copy all my music files across to my new pc). problem is, ide to usb does not want to work. once connected xp dectects the drives but says there was a installation problem and i cannot find the drive anywhere. the enclosure is delivering power to the hard disk and all the lights etc work as the should do. i've purchased 2 of these drives and its the same with both, using two serparte hard disks (that i knjow work). my hard drives are not faulty (i've put them back on my old pc to test). also when i try to use the enclosures on my old pc i get the same result.

i've just finished a complete fresh install of xp on my new system (sp 2 + updates) so that rules out an xp reinstall as a fix. can any one help???

aceofbass 07:49 24 Feb 06

Are the hard drives jumpered correctly (i.e. set to slave not master)? This could make a diference (though I haven't tried it)
Do you have the correct USB drivers? USB2 may be needed rather than USB1.

Newuser4165 09:29 24 Feb 06

To get the external drives to work off aUSB connection then you will need to format them as IDE drives before you install them into their caddies.
Set them up as slave devices on the secondary IDE controllet,format them as NTFS- you can use quick format then place them in their respective caddies but jumper them as Master.The drives will now be allocated drive letters when the pc is rebooted.
You don't get this problem with dedicated external drives since they all come pre -formatted

woodchip 09:41 24 Feb 06

All External USB drives Have to be set to MASTER with the jumper on the drive or it will not work.

After that, if there is still Partitions or info on the drives you can go into Windows Explorer and should see the drives, if not report back if you have cleared the partitions

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:53 24 Feb 06

Set jumpers to MASTER

As drives are already formatted and have files on them DO NOT format or FDsk as you will lose the files.

Plug the drives into a USB port straight off the motherboard, NOT off a HUB or Front USB ports.

aceofbass 11:38 25 Feb 06

In my earlier posting I should have said set the hard drive jumpers to Master not Slave. Sorry!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…