External HDrive Lost ALL Data. Can it be Recovered?

Legslip 20:38 PM 28 Jun 13

I have an Iomega Xtl drive and when I plug it in a window opens and ask if I want to format it. I hit NO and then another instruction appears that states "E is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect".

If I go into properties it states the disk size is 0gb and that there is 0 data on it.

It does/did have important data on it. Can anyone advise what has happened and if it would be able to recover the important data?

john bunyan 20:45 PM 28 Jun 13

If your PC can "see" the drive, you could try Recuva See:

rdave13 20:46 PM 28 Jun 13

Which Windows OS are you using? If 7 or Vista try connecting to an XP machine. See if you can get the data off it. Could be an incorrect disconnection or shutdown when drive using cashe. Win 7 vulnerable to this but XP might mighr read it correctly.

Legslip 21:41 PM 28 Jun 13

Thanks Guys. Tried Recuva but did not find files and also in XP but get the same results as on my Win 7 PC.

Someone mentioned to me to try Ubuntu. Anyone know anything about it and if it might work?

Legslip 21:42 PM 28 Jun 13

PS In properties in XP it states the file format is RAW!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:59 PM 28 Jun 13
  Legslip 22:09 PM 28 Jun 13

Hang on...... Recuva seems to have kicked in! Fingers crossed, will advise.

Legslip 15:29 PM 29 Jun 13

Thanks "The Poet". Recuva worked a treat. Thanks for the other suggestion Fruit Bat.

john bunyan 20:14 PM 29 Jun 13

Thanks for feedback. Glad it worked!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…