External HDD's, data transfer stalls

BIGKREM 16:01 PM 04 Dec 11

Hi Folks, Ive had my Toshiba Satellite Windows 7 laptop since the operating system was introduced and i have never had the slightest problem.Recently one of the external drives (WD 350gb) i use for backing up my music,video,photo and document files, has started to "hang" after a few minutes of data transfer.Ive had to split the task into annoyingly small segments.Yesterday I w2as trying to transfer these folders to a new folder on another drive (seagate 750gb) and the drives seemed to take it in turn to hang up!. I tried connecting both drives through an old HP pc with virtually no RAM or free disc space, and the task was completed without any problems! Anyone any idea why my lappie is misbehaving with these external units? Device manager reports no problems with USB. Cheers, Krem

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:13 PM 04 Dec 11

In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB, reboot the PC let Windows find and install new hardware. Your equipment should now be recognised.

BIGKREM 17:24 PM 04 Dec 11

Thanks for that, going off shift soon and I will give it a bash. cHEERS, Krem

BIGKREM 06:15 AM 05 Dec 11

Morning all, Hi Fruit Bat, I tried uninstalling all USB drivers but the same problem occured when I tried copying a 60gb file from 2 external HDDs to my desktop. Both drives stalled out after transferring just 2.2gb. To get rid of the frozen transfer window from the desktop, when I went into task manager it told me that windows explorer had stopped working! Krem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Android apps 2015/2016: Best apps for your new phone or tablet - what apps should I download?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Uniqlo uses your brain waves to find your perfect T-shirt

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…