External HDD, very slow USB transfer problems

beec crump 18:32 01 Nov 07

Hello,
I have just bought a Seagate FreeAgent 250GB USB external hard drive to back up my media, however I am having big problems with very slow transfer speeds, error messages, corrupting files and messages telling me about ‘Delayed Write Failed’.

As a test for the USB port, I got a folder of MP3 files, 108MB in total, and timed the transfer onto my USB pen and then onto the Seagate HDD. The transfer onto the USB pen took 32 seconds and the HDD took 3m 42s. Nearly 4 minutes for 100MB of songs! As I have over 60GB of music, this will make the task impossible.

I have tried a different USB cable, no change.

It is connected to my laptop, a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo PA 1510, XP SP2, AMD Turion dual 1.6GHz, 2GB of RAM so it really can’t be a lack of processing power I don’t think.

Just hoping someone had a solution…

Thanks,
Ben

mymate 19:26 01 Nov 07

click here+

Found this on Google .Have a read and see if it helps you out .

beec crump 20:03 01 Nov 07

i've trawled google to no avail, a lot seems to relate to macs, I can't find anything that works for PCs. thanks anyway...

anyone else got any ideas?

thanks

Technotiger 20:08 01 Nov 07

Just a thought, but if it is simply connected to one of the usb ports on your laptop, perhaps it might make a difference if you connected it via a Powered usb hub connected to laptop. Or am I talking gibberish??

beec crump 20:11 01 Nov 07

i've tried both through a hub (which is how i ultimately want it to run) and straight into the laptop.

its about the same speed though either.

i need to transfer all the data so doing the first major transfer direct, then can update/read through the hub which will be a bit slower.

thanks

Technotiger 20:19 01 Nov 07

Hmm, can't suggest anything better I'm afraid.

beec crump 20:19 01 Nov 07

thanks anyway

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:27 01 Nov 07

Try Refreshing your USB Ports

In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB, reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.

Retry the drive and see if it improves he transfer rate.

beec crump 20:42 01 Nov 07

just tried that, no change unfortunately

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac