External HDD showing in Windows, but not in BIOS

Kingbhoy 13:03 PM 02 Jul 13

So im trying to restore from an External HDD however it is not showing up as on option in the BIOS, or on the recovery disk software to reboot from.

The drive works fine, if i boot up windows I can take things off it and put things on etc, shows in device manager and disk management fine too. I have tried changing USB port to see if that was the issue, so far no change

Any ideas how to get this to appear in the BIOS? Cheers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:03 PM 02 Jul 13

It won't show in BIOS as its not part of the machine and needs driver to run it in windows.

or on the recovery disk software to reboot from.

What recover program are you using? you may need to make a rescue disk with the recovery program while the USB external drive is plugged in.

Kingbhoy 14:07 PM 02 Jul 13

Thanks for the reply, I am using EaseUS Todo. I made a recovery USB to boot from which works fine, however once it boots the software I can then only see the internal HDD and not the external one. Il try making this again with the ext HDD in another port and see if that affects it.

lotvic 20:22 PM 02 Jul 13

Did you try clicking on 'Browse' button? "browse for image manually if the image you need is not in the list" (page 33 EaseUS ToDo pdf manual)

Kingbhoy 21:22 PM 02 Jul 13

Thanks for the reply, yes. This only leads to browsing the C drive, the external HDD does not show up. I think it is a driver issue but im not sure of a way around this.

lotvic 00:08 AM 03 Jul 13

I found this: backupreview.com/easeus-todo-backup-free

"During my first review, EaseUS Todo Backup couldn’t locate my USB hard drive during recovery. I found out this was because the bootable DVD didn’t have the correct USB driver for my hardware. After contacting EaseUS they said the only solution would be to upgrade to Todo Backup Home edition, which supports creating a Win PE bootable disk and might have the correct drivers."

Kingbhoy 10:14 AM 03 Jul 13

thanks, once I get this sorted il be changing my backup software to something abit more reliable....

lotvic 17:42 PM 03 Jul 13

To get around problem, suggest you copy the backup image to an internal HDD if you have a spare one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know