External HDD query

willo500 01:34 20 Jan 05

I have a Dell Dimension desktop which is a few years old now. I have a 40 and a 60GB internal HDDs and seem to remember this was the maximum storage capatcity my motherboard could support without the addition of a controller card. My question is whether this limit applies to extenal drives because U have a lot of video and photo files which have filled up my second drive and I would really like to use an external 160Gb drive connected by firewire or USB2.

All advice gratefully received,

Gandalph 01:44 20 Jan 05

As far as my memory serves, No it does not apply to external drives. The computer accepts the external drive as a piece of peripheral equipment and not as a drive. I am sure it will be just a case of connecting the drive and transferring the files from your internal HDD then doing a clean up.

georgemac 08:41 20 Jan 05

this was a bios limitation only and should not apply to usb devices

click here

click here

alternatively, if you want ot install a new large internal hard drive, the hard drive manufacturers now supply a software package that overcomes the bios hard drive size limit, and makes install & data transfer simple click here

willo500 10:41 20 Jan 05

Thanks for the advice. I will probably go for a maxtor or Western Digital external of 160Gb then. ANy thoughts on whether to use Firewire connection or USB2? I already have a firewire card installed but I also have one last spare pci slot in which I could install a USB2 card.

georgemac 11:09 20 Jan 05

if you already have firewire just go for firewire - from what I've read performance is very similar - however the installation of a usb2 card will give you usb2 for other devices if reqd

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:31 20 Jan 05

You will notice no difference between firewire and USB2...go for what is easiest/cheapest.

willo500 23:13 20 Jan 05

Thanks folks. I appreciate your help

wee eddie 00:46 21 Jan 05

It will give you more options in the future

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…