external hdd is fat32

Daiol 16:37 12 Feb 08

Hi,just bought an external hdd for backup use,I'm using windows xp pro and when i went to use the windows backup system it told me that my disc was a FAT32 when i checked right click and properties it was correct its a FAT32 so windows could not do a backup for me so can i format this drive to a NTFS format and how long a process would it be,also i have some info on it that i draged and dropt method onto it will i loose the files that are on it by reformating it to NTFS?? thanks daiol.

anskyber 16:40 12 Feb 08
  woodchip 16:46 12 Feb 08

It should backup just the same, It would if you used Acronis True Image

Daiol 16:47 12 Feb 08

anskyber. thanks for that info,can you clarify one thing for me is it correct that my pc C hdd should be NTFS format.thats what it is with me.

johndrew 16:48 12 Feb 08

If you re-format to NTFS any data will be overwritten and lost.

With your external drive connected and visible in `My Computer` open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd'
To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs'
So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

anskyber 16:51 12 Feb 08

Most PCs are in NTFS these days, many laptops are however in FAT32.

anskyber 16:52 12 Feb 08

PS as johndrew has hinted when you format make sure it's the external HDD that you are changing!

Daiol 20:47 12 Feb 08

thankyou all got enough info to carry.Thanks all once again.daiol

woodchip 21:23 12 Feb 08

I have two XP ntfs computers but use a Fat32 External USB drive so I can see it on my 98 computer also. It should work as above on Fat32

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…