External HDD For Backup! Any Good?

johnehlas 22:42 31 Jul 03

Hiya everyone,

just looking for help here on a certain matter. Im thinking of purchasing an external HDD (Western Digital USB 2 80GB), and so was wondering if it is possible and how to, keep a fresh install of windows on it incase the actual computer goes belly up and then to boot from USB and then just copy the whole thing over after formatting the corrupt drive! Is this possible and if so how would i do it?

Thank you so much for help

there is a great array of backup software on the market, the one i recommend is norton ghost but others will differ. if you have xp it has backup software built in and a useful wizard to guide you through. definitely a good idea so do it straight away and keep your backups up to date. H

DieSse 23:36 31 Jul 03

Alternatively, how about a drive in a removeable tray - this will run at full IDE speeds - faster backups, and possibly less costly too.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:43 31 Jul 03

click here best back up that I have found.....and free.

Mango Grummit 03:06 01 Aug 03

Please note that you cannot boot from any USB device, despite anything you may hear to the contrary.

Bebee 08:38 01 Aug 03

Mango Grummit is right, but with Norton Ghost You can create a boot disk, floppy or CD, which includes USB drivers so that you can restore your disk image from a USB device.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…