External HDD

Chief Estimator 14:24 19 Aug 07

I have just connected 2 x 500GB External HDDs. The system will accept one of them when only one is connected. If I connect the other at the same time, the system says that a duplicate device is connected at this location, so does not load. The HDDs are Samsung HD501LJ USB Device. The disc are labeled by maufacturer as the same. Any ideas as to a solution. I have two other external HDD connected, but these are by different manufacturers. They present no problems.

Rich_B 14:31 19 Aug 07

Is this problem consistant even if you change the USB port they are plugged into?
Also, have you tried re-naming one?

EARLR 14:40 19 Aug 07

I have 4 external HD connected via a hub no problems.
Good Luck

€dstowe 14:41 19 Aug 07

These external drives are usually loaded up with (pretty useless) software.

Try formatting at least one of them to get it into a proper working condition.

Kate B 14:47 19 Aug 07

Are you connecting via a hub or directly to the PC's USB ports? If the former, try the latter. Hubs can be tricky.

Chief Estimator 14:57 19 Aug 07

Both HDDs bear the same manufacturers name & type, this being picked up by the system. The HDDs are connected via a 7 USB Hub. I have tried conecting and disconnecting in all combinations through different USB ports but each time second HDD connected. No go. The user names of hard drives are different and I have change the drive letters to no avail. So thanks for ideas so far keep on coming we bound to get there eventually. Cheers

€dstowe 14:59 19 Aug 07

Do try formatting to remove the ID of at least one.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:32 19 Aug 07

Hub is connected to 1 port on PC
If you have two identical devices in HUB then you are trying to couple two identical devices to same port on PC.

You need to plug one of the two drives into a different port ON THE PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5