External HDD

willo500 12:44 15 Mar 06

Hi
I want to buy one of these. It doesn't have to be anything fancy just reliable and easy to use, around about 160 - 200 GB in size. Brands I am considering are Maxtor or possible Lacie.

Any opinions on general reliability etc?

Thanks

willo500 15:32 15 Mar 06

I would go higher in the GB stakes if need be. I really need one to protect my data to the max

Thanks

Navarre666 15:33 15 Mar 06

Hi.

I have used several External HDD's including Seagate, Freecom and Maxtor ranging between 160-300GB.

All 3 were equally as reliable, but if I had to choose between the 3 it would be the Seagate. The Maxtor was loud compared to the other 2 and the Freecom appeared to be slower than the Seagate.

Hope this helps.

willo500 22:13 15 Mar 06

Thanks for the advice. I'm sort of drawn to the Lacie drive for sale just now at 300GB. Does anyone have any opinion as to that brand's reliability and quality?

Hertz Van Rentyl 22:25 15 Mar 06

The LaCie 250Gb USB is on the PC Pro magazine "A" list.

DieSse 23:22 15 Mar 06

LaCie don't actually manufacture the hard drive units, they jusdt package them into an enclsure with whatever electronics, interfaces, software may be needed. So they will be using some brand or another drive anyway - I think it's MaxTor at present (but could be wrong, and they could use more than one manufacturer).

Look and see who offers the best warranty?

willo500 10:08 16 Mar 06

Thanks guys. I am going to buy the Lacie I suspect..

Willo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac