external hdd

joe95 15:11 14 Jan 05

I have just installed the above on my PC XP Home although it says it is installed it is not shown in my computer do I need extra software like Acronis before this will operate.
thanks

chub_tor 15:21 14 Jan 05

New Hard drives need to be partioned and formatted before they show up in My Computer.

Diemmess 15:28 14 Jan 05

Mine worked "straight from the box" except that I had to have the computer running before plugging the HD into the USB socket for its first time.

joe95 16:10 14 Jan 05

Ihave tried to formatt the drive but after 5 minutes says cannot do.

Diemmess 17:02 14 Jan 05

Most external HDs whatever their brand name...... contain within their case a drive made by Maxtor, Western Digital and so on.

Most of these manufacturers have small special programs which when downloaded and copied to a floppy will do all the formatting and even partitioning in a few seconds...............
Should be worth finding out which make your HD's innards are from - and take it from there.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:00 14 Jan 05

Hard disk tools :-
Seatools click here
WD Data lifeguard click here
Maxblast3 click here

joe95 13:48 16 Jan 05

I haveformatted my external HDD but when I try to clone it with Ghost get a message to use this device select the appropriate driver.Select a driver that is the same as the controller the device is attached to.
have no idea what to do

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…