External HD not appearing in Explorer

jonmac 14:35 14 Jun 15

My external USB-connected hard disk is no longer appearing in Explorer via any of my USB sockets. It bleeps when inserted but that's all. The system knows it is there because it tells me it could run faster via the USB3 socket and I can see it in the "Safely remove hardware and eject media" routine. Any suggestions as to how to procede?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:42 14 Jun 15

Powered by the UBS port or externally powered?

Sometimes as they get older no powered drives struggle from the port and need a powered USB hub to run from.

Can you feel the drive running? The beep is just the USB to SATA bridge being detected.

Any exclamation marks in device manager.

does the drive show in Disk management?

jonmac 15:58 14 Jun 15

Thanks Fruit Bat. The drive is only 8 months old and is powered through the USB socket. I can feel it vibrating and it shows up in both Device Manager and Disk Manager as "working properly" Strange!

rdave13 16:53 14 Jun 15

In disk manager it might only need to be allocated a letter. Before you do that try booting up with the drive already connected, if that is the usual set-up, then try connecting the drive after booting.

jonmac 20:02 14 Jun 15

Thanks rdave13. I hadn't noticed in Disk Manager that it had lost its drive letter. It's fixed now! Thanks to both of you for your responses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…