External HD failure

wids001 17:27 19 Dec 10

I have a 1TB iomega external HD, just 7 months old, that has now began to "click" badly whilst accessing data.

Not too much of a problem as I have the exact same data copy on my internal "D" drive, and am to purchase a new WD external drive in the morning.

My question is, using windows 7 64bit, how do I change the drive letter of the replacement external HD? It will default to "F" and I need to set it to "M" (Music).

GaT7 17:41 19 Dec 10

With the new drive plugged-in, you'll need to go into Disk Management, right-click the drive, choose 'Change Drive Letter and Paths...' (or similar), make the necessary changes & save them.

To get to Disk Management, type diskmgmt.msc in the Start > Search box & click on it when it appears in the menu - or click here for details. G

rdave13 17:43 19 Dec 10

Open disk managment- on right hand of window find the drive and right click. Pick 'change drive letter and paths.'
Click 'change' and select your letter. Click OK and yes to the question. Close the windows.
Obviously don't select the drive with Windows on!

rdave13 17:44 19 Dec 10

You're too fast...

GaT7 18:02 19 Dec 10

Not fast enough rdave13 (although in this instance I was quicker than you). In the past, I used to be able to answer a question before it was even asked - like click here for example. Now that's called FAST ;-)), G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant