External HD: eSATA Won't Auto-Recognise

SimpleSimon1 21:47 03 Jul 09

Can anyone help with a bit of a strange one.

I have a Sata-II Samsung SpinPoint T 500GB HD in an IcyDock USB/eSATA MB559US-1S external caddy. The drive was commissioned and installed externally on an XP Home SP3 PC, via the caddy USB cable. This works as expected and whenever I connect the drive to the PC via the USB cable, it auto-recognises as drive L.

Although this is a SATA-II drive, because the PC is a bit old it's mobo (MSI K8N Neo4 MS-7125) only has SATA-1 connectors. However, all the info I can find suggests this shouldn't be a problem and just means that the data transfer speed will be reduced to approx.150Mbps (peak). So I fitted the eSATA port that came with the IcyDock, linked it to SATA connector 2 on the mobo and rebooted.

After connecting the HD via the eSATA cable, initially, I didn't see anything so I went to Device Manager, couldn't see the disk and rescanned. Hey presto, it finds the Samsung, immediately installs it (still as drive L) and everything is fine and I can swap data backwards and forwards real fast. I then want to dismount it however there is no sign of the eSATA connection in the 'Safely Remove Hardware' tool so I shut the PC and external HD down. I then reboot the PC, power up the HD and connect the eSATA cable again. Nothing happens and the PC doesn't auto-recognise the eSATA connection. A quick look at Device Manager shows no sign of the eSATA-connected HD; however, I then rescan and it finds it again, installs it and everything works again. Unfortunately, as before, it doesn't want to dismount.

So, in summary, if I connect the external HD via USB, it auto-recognises and dismounts via the 'Safely Remove Hardware' tool as would be expected. However, if I conect via eSATA, it doesn't auto-recognise but will install as a result of a Device Manager scan. Although it seems to work after doing this, it doesn't appear in the 'Safely Remove Hardware' tool which doesn't inspire confidence!

I haven't touched the [Phoenix] BIOS and have left the SATA-Raid settings disabled (since, presumably, I only use these if I want an eSATA RAID array). That being the case all advice would be very welcome.

Thanks

T I M B O 21:55 03 Jul 09

I had an icy box before, and with xp it was nothing but trouble, but worked ok with vista. What os do you have?

SimpleSimon1 22:13 03 Jul 09

>The drive was commissioned and installed
>externally on an XP Home SP3 PC

Connection and auto-recognition via USB2 cable is rock solid. It's just the eSATA side of things that is confusing me.

T I M B O 22:18 03 Jul 09

Have you got a vista pc close to you that you can try youre icy box on ??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced